- Full talk
- Technical level
For a sysadmin, taking backups is perhaps one of the most crucial operations. GlusterFS Volume Snapshots provide a point-in-time recovery solution for gluster volumes. This enables you to take an online snapshot of your gluster volume, without having to take the volume offline, thereby providing zero downtime. Also it leverages lvm's thin provisioning, thereby reducing disk-usage substantially.
In this session, we will have a brief walkthrough of the management system in GlusterFS, and the snapshot architecture before diving deep into the following:
- How to create snapshots of a gluster volume
- Understanding snapshot configuration and configuring snapshots
- Point-in-time recovery using snapshots
- Deleting snapshots
- Best practices and essential migration constraints
- Future of GLusterFS snapshots
I am a software engineer at Red Hat Inc., working on GlusterFS, a distributed file system. I have ~4 yrs of experience as a software developer in linux powered distributed systems.