by Shanker Balan (@shankerbalan) on Thursday, March 5, 2015
View session in schedule
- Technical level
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. This presentation will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimialist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. We’ll also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platform designed for running Docker at scale in production on any cloud or computing infrastructure.
We will discuss:
- Benefits of using Docker for microservices
- RancherOS and why a micro OS for Docker makes sense
- Using Docker Compose across dev, test and production
- Projects, and collaboration on service development
- Service discovery and software defined networking
- Monitoring hosts, containers and services
Over the course of the presentation, we’ll demonstrate how to use RancherOS, Docker and Rancher to build out microservices.
Shanker Balan is a freelance DevOps and Cloud Consultant having 15+ years of experience in large scale distributed systems at Yahoo and InMobi