by Joel Divekar (@joeldivekar) on Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Status: Submitted
Section
Workshops

Technical level
Advanced

Abstract

Deploying servers / services, scaling, security compliance, monitoring, operations, patch management, configuration etc are critical activities handled by DevOpsSec team. They are responsible to keep them running let it rain or shine 24/7/365. And they have to be quick using their most loved CLI and automation tools like Ansible. And we are going to quickly understand and learn how to do DevOps activities on cloud.

Outline

1) Installing & configuring Command line tools along with Ansible
2) Deploying cloud servers / instances - web / application and database
3) Using readily available Ansible modules for automation
4) Securing Servers using basic hardening techniques
5) Scaling
6) Basic Monitoring

Requirements

Laptop with Linux / BSD installed with root access and Internet

Speaker bio

Open Source enthusiast with 25+ experience in Fintech, Infrastructure, Cloud, Information Security, Development & Gaming etc. and passionately working to be Blockchain superhero.

Comments

• 2
    [-] Philip Paeps (@trouble) 3 months ago

For a workshop, we expect a much more detailed outline. Which automation tool? Securing servers using what?

While we expect there to be reasonable internet access at the conference, it is always best to plan for outages.

• 1
      [-] Zubair Sharief (@mzs) 3 months ago

+1 for the BSDs. Or, for keeping it agnostic for the FLOSS OSs.

• 1
      [-] Joel Divekar (@joeldivekar) 3 months ago

[For a workshop, we expect a much more detailed outline]

Should I fill it again or modify ? Can I mail it here ?

[Which automation tool?]

I would be using Ansible as it requires no client installation on linux servers

[Securing servers using what?]

Using hardening techniques like
      - removing unwanted services or applications or support - Using Firewalld / IPTables - Installing open source security / compliance tools - Disabling unwanted fs etc …

[Also why Linux specifically? Why not FreeBSD or another open source operating system?]

Nothing specific, as I have been using Ubuntu as my primary OS for last 6 - 7 years. But I am comfortable with FreeBSD, infact I had been using mac book pro at my last job.

• 1
    [-] Philip Paeps (@trouble) 3 months ago

It would be best if you could expand on your original proposal. I believe there’s an ‘edit’ button on the proposal.

• 1
    [-] Joel Divekar (@joeldivekar) 3 months ago

Philip, I have done necessary changes in my proposal as per your advice. Please feel free to revert back. Thanks

• 1
    [-] Zainab Bawa (@zainabbawa) 2 months ago

Joel, I sent you an email last week, asking for some more details to be submitted before we can make a decision on this proposal. Have you had a chance to look at this?

Login with Twitter or Google to leave a comment