- Crisp talk of 15 mins duration
- Technical level
A typical conversation on a release day:
Everyone in the team, running around with questions like this
- how did it had got merged without review? is it not test covered? or did we not run tests? (and the blame game starts which turns pleasant office premises into a really chaotic one.) Does this conversation sounds familiar to you? If yes then read on:
Yes, in fast paced organisations like us, it is a burning problem. And we really wanted a monitoring system in the dev phase itself that too using the same tools we use regularly. This brings Agility within the teams by having everything & everyone on a single platform and help everyone know that what’s there in the black box.
Points needs to be ensured:
To solve these probelms, a automatic monitoring system was required which could help us ensuring at-least these:
- Prevent direct push to the branches we want to protect
- No commits to go inside without tech/product review
- A common transparent place to quickly go through all commit links/description with timestamp to quickly know which can be the culprit commits
- Alerts to respective team members for any suspicious activity done by anyone
- Personalised alerts to the committer for reminding to follow the release process
- As the team size grows, assisting each one in the team on release process & progress is really a repetitive task and a dependency, at-least few of those instructions can be given to the bot to take care of
Come let’s talk and take a sneak peek at how we are dealing with these at MoEngage Inc.
In this crisp talk, we will discuss about unleashing the power of Github, Slack and few more open-source technologies to create a code monitoring and talking bot which can keep everyone in a team, up to date with ease to boost more interactive, healthy work culture and the happier minds :-)
problem analysis & origin of the bot - 4 min
will be understanding the real communication problems occur while trying to collaborate Cross-functional Teams to get things done or trace the history in finding RCA when things go wrong
The bot at your service - 7 min
we will be discovering the already available open projects and how we connected the dots to get our first bot live and then what more handy features it brought @ work, that its like a team memeber now.
The exponential future possibilities - 2 min
Questions & Answers - 2 min
I’m an automation nerd and open source enthusiast. I love brainstorming and implementing crazy ideas to figure out ways which can improve the quality of the product. Having a blend of dev, qa & devops mindset, I strive to bridge the gaps between all the teams to attain the best results.
Driven by curiosity to learn & share new things everyday, I pen them, few glimpses can be found here: